Monday, February 24, 2014

Galentine's Day Weekend

Valentine's Day is typically something I don't care about one way or another. I know that is something that the chronically single always say but never mean, but really...it's just a day. I don't dread its existence, nor do I mope about eating chocolate with its arrival and cry over my singleness. Perhaps it comes from being in the service industry for a number of years. Regardless, this year was no different. Lesley and I galentined it up starting with Larchmont for coffee and ending with Bootleg and live music. In the middle I completed my certification course for my Homeland Security course. If there is a local disaster, I am prepared and can help y'all through it! (nothing screams romance like disaster preparedness!!)

Get Em Tiger on Larchmont for a macadamia almond milk cappuccino 
I made a tasty chinese stir fry and Lesley and I hit up our favorite little dive venue the neighborhood over. I couldn't tell ya who was playing but they were coupley and folky and sounded divine live. We enjoyed some new friends on the patio in the most perfect weather while we listened to them play after  our photobooth picture!

Out of 15 pictures, this is the only one that is usable. And who knows what I'm even doing.

Cut to Saturday. Estaban (Esteban?) had invited us to an event he was working at Downtown. He was getting us in as VIP's to the worlds largest cement pour to take place at one time. Confused? I was there and I'm still not sure what was really going on. Something about how Korean Air is building what will be the largest building in Los Angeles (70+ floors) and Guiness was invited while they had a parade of cement trucks filling somewhere between 14-17 feet of a massive hole with cement. It was a big to-do with the Mayor, Senators, and business big wigs and the USC Marching Band! We got a front hole seat to watch as the 'pour' began. Which was really more of a straw-tube-slide like contraption.


The green things are the arms that the cement was running through to fill the hole, which is where the rods and beams are.
All in all, it was a rather odd experience. But it provided some excellent people watching! Afterwards we found a new pizza shop downtown and then made our way back to our piece of LA.

Sunday is the perfect brunch day. Brunch in DTLA turned to lunch, which then sort of turned into a Los Angeles cluster rather quickly. We went to the Ace Hotel to try out their new restaurant. Let's go with it left a lot to be desired...but I would loveeee to go back to try out Upstairs, which of course is the rooftop lounge with a GREAT patio.


Yes, we accidentally dressed in the same cobalt blue. 
After lunch, Lesley and I went to the Grove for some window shopping and people watching with a drink. There was a singer performing at the fountain where we were sitting which provided some sort of entertainment and I even had a celeb sighting. I'm a terrible celeb spotter because all I know is that he's on TV but I can't tell you which show and I couldn't tell you what his name is if my life depended on it. But it's something to keep ya entertained on a Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment